2020 Festival Director's Notes
Basics for ALL repertoire:
- Tall mouths are encouraged; long spines; feet under hips
ALWAYS looking for beautiful sound!
- *It is super important that choristers are singing PHRASES, not WORDS.
- Please discuss dynamics in terms of feelings rather than volume
- What do these mean?
- mp - NOT medium soft, but thankful; happy; gentle; prayerful
- mf - NOT medium loud, but joyful; triumphant; excited
- Try to get the choristers to think of words that give an emotion for sections of music
Unto Us a Child is Born
- SOLO opportunity at the beginning of this song through m. 11; tutti pick up to m. 12.
- SOLO opportunity m. 41 through m. 59; tutti pick up to m. 63
- m. 9: be careful of that B flat - it's only a 1/2 step higher than the A just before it.
- m. 25-40: "Away in a Manger" section - sing four bar phrases; breathe only where there is an eighth rest. Please change this dynamic to mp
- m. 54: watch for the repeated A
- m. 65: again, please be careful to the B flat
- Pretty straight forward for Unison/Two part
- No SATB, thanks for offering though!!!
- p.14 - if you think we have enough singers to do this:
- m. 57 Altos 2 start
- m. 59 ADD Alto 1 on a G (as in tenor part)
- m. 61 ADD Sop 2 on the C (as in Alto part)
- m. 63 ADD Sop 1 on the E (as in Soprano part)
- All voices return to unison at m. 64-65 THEN altos sing the ALTO part from m. 66-end
I Can Do All Things
- Two part as indicated in score
- We will observe the molto rit. on p. 7 as well as the accel. poco a poco bottom of p. 7
- *P.3-6 - I really would LOVE to hear all the ending consonants in the splits: "p, n, f (gh), p, t" as well as some key beginning consonants: "cl, flipped r, st, pl, pr"
- *The "I" followed by the eighth rest "I rest can do all things" - could become clipped. PLEASE do not allow choristers to clip this note! There should be NO breath after the "I", just a "lift of silence" and continue on.
- This piece will easily get away from the choristers and become very spread and ugly. PLEASE be sure choristers rehearse with tall sound.
This is the Day
- SOLO/SM GROUP opportunity m. 18-26
- SOLO/SM GROUP opportunity m. 41-56
- Tutti on the melody each time it returns: beginning, m. 27, m. 57
- This is a pretty straight forward piece.
- SOLO opportunity m. 5-8 first time through; tutti on repeat
- mf at m. 11; observe NB; p at m. 12
- observe dynamics m. 21-26
- m. 27 part II sing mp; m. 29 part I sing mp
- Observe decrescendo in m. 33
- Keep mp in m. 34-35 and more decrescendo in m.36